MSU library Gaming Rooms/User Researcher
The problem: Tasked to examine this new space and website via research and design methods to help the clients figure out what their desired experience for this space is.
The Solution: We then determined what the actual experience users were getting in this space. Then worked with the client and the users to create a common ground where users and the client were on the same accord to both get their desired experiences.
My Role: As one of the lead user researchers it was my duty to test the space with users. My job was to watch their experiences as they interacted with the space and to only help them when they were at a lost point. Also it was my job to create prototypes of solutions created for problems that arose from testing.
Research: As a team we discussed what method we felt best for this project. We knew that using surveys what allow for users to not be completely honest with us. So we decided to use experience testing. I created the testing structures, and oversaw the participants. We would oversee the entire process of checking out the game room, figuring out what game they wanted to play, then actually setting the system up and playing. From this test we were to come up with results of some pain points and uses that were similar for every tester.
Results:From out research we were able to come up with some solutions that the Library can emplement right away to enhance the users experience with the gaming rooms.
List used as a reference for users to determine what game they wanted to check out. Most games are dated back from 5 years and beyond which created a problem for users who struggled to remember names of games during their childhood.
Based on testing we found out Users were 3 times more likely to remember a game that they played in their childhood when we accompanied them with the cover image of genre. Here is the new prototype that can be used in digital and print to help users decided which game they would want to check out.
Discovered a way-finding issue because users skipped over the paragraph on the reservations screen because of the body of text effect.
Created a bullet point list with important information that allowed our users to skim while still allowing them to get all the valuable information that is needed to locate the rooms and other valuable information to experience the room.
Takeways: Through research we were able to work with our client to help them understand what the best use for this space while also helping design better experiences for the user of the gaming labs.